The place to be!
The inventive Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) and the oldest university of the Netherlands (founded in 1575) are the perfect combination for an innovative international student conference. Furthermore, Leiden is a typical Dutch city with a rich history and a picturesque city centre, located between Amsterdam and The Hague. Many Nobel Prize winners were scientists in Leiden such as Van der Waals and Einthoven. As part of the LIMSC social program we will show you the history and the beautiful surroundings of Leiden, which it is famous for.
Furthermore, Leiden has some wonderful museums, which are absolutely worth visiting:
• Museum Boerhaave; The Netherlands has a great history in the development of science and medicine. Museum Boerhaave shows over five centuries of inventions and discoveries in several sciences.
• Naturalis; our scientific research aims to understand the development of biodiversity and the interaction between species. The natural history collection of Naturalis Biodiversity Center is the 5th largest in the world with 37 million objects.
• Hortus Botanicus Leiden; A green treasure hidden in the historical centre of Leiden. Founded in 1590, this is the oldest botanical garden in the Netherlands and one of the oldest in the world.
• Rijksmuseum van Oudheden; The Dutch National Museum of Antiquities is the national center of archaeology where you can appreciate the cultures of ancient Egypt, the Near East, the classical world and the early Netherlands.
• Museum van Volkenkunde; The national Museum of Ethnology is the world's oldest ethnographical museum.